With the weather warming up, it's time to start thinking about getting the boat ready for the boating season. Whether you're spending the summer on Old Hickory, Percy Priest, Center Hill or another lake in the great state of Tennessee, you'll want to check out these tips to get the boat in shape. Then you can relax, take a dip in the water, catch a "big one", or enjoy watersports like skiing and tubing.
At Merit Insurance of Tennessee, we want to ensure you're first in line at the boat launch at the first sign of the season change, so here are a few tips for being ahead of the game.
* Tune it up. It's always a good idea to have your boat wintereized at the end of each season, but whether you did or didn't get it done last year, make sure to get a full tune-up before you hit the lake this summer.
* Charge it. Make sure your battery is fully charged.
* Clear it out. If there's a chance any bit of gas from last season is still in your tank, fill it up with fresh gas as well as a stabilizer; this will prevent buildup in the gas lines and injection system.
* Give it a test. Before you get the boat all the way into the water and off the trailer, lower your motor into the water and make sure it will turn over.
* Plug it up. Ensure your drain plug is in and the bilge pump is functioning properly.
* Double- and triple-check. The last thing you want is to be turned away at the ramp for not having an updated registration or missing your ski flag or life vests. Double check that your documents are updated and that your boat is fully stocked with everything you need.
We at Merit Insurance of Tennessee wish you a fun-filled and safe boating season!